Castelluzzo of the municipality of San Vito Lo Capo is located 34 km from Trapani and is easily reachable from Palermo along the A29 motorway exit at Castellammare del Golfo and continuing along the State Route 187 towards San Vito Locapo. The road winds through the hills and uncultivated barren mountains to the "Passo del Biro", famous in the past for numerous robberies that were perpretate to damage even in the middle of travelers giorno.Castelluzzo stretches for three kilometers along Provincial Road from " Bivio Lentini "to S. Vito Lo Capo and its height above sea level varies from 35 to 130 mt.
Called "The Valley of Olives" with good reason given the vast olive groves that surround the urban area, which make the country a must see for lovers of nature tourism and excursions on horseback. The reserve of Mount Hood on one side and its proximity to the Zingaro Nature Reserve on the other, the beach of Cala Arena, the many coves of white pebbles that come from the latter to the foot of Mount Hood and the proximity SanVitoLoCapo have greatly contributed to raising Castelluzzo summer tourist destination.
Castelluzzo prior to 1790 was Feudo Agro Ericino grown only in part. The only cultivated part of that period, called parecchiatathe Runza (portion of cultivated land), was owned by Pietro D'Ancona and was extended for bodies 6. From 1790 to 1791 the estate was divided to different owners, doing so gave began the intensive cultivation with planting carob, almond, olive, pistachio and ash. Plant latter that in addition to providing a very durable wood for the manufacture of different tools provided a liquid widely used in medicine: the manna. Castelluzzo the name is related to the presence of a small castle on top of a rock above the town, which was definitely home to a squire of medieval times. To get to Castelluzzo before the end of 1800 the only steep path was what the Baglio Messina led to Scaletta Ash, an adjoining town to town, you think to do to reach the first farm cart in those years had to dismantle it and then transport it by mule.
Only in the late 1800s he began to draw a thoroughfare from both buggies from farm wagons. Castelluzzo in 1904 included about a hundred small houses, lined up in large part to the two sides of the main street while the rest were scattered throughout the surrounding countryside covered by abundant plantations of vines and olive trees, had little more than 500 inhabitants, mostly farmers . The economy of the time purely based on agricultural work, in fact, a few were devoted to crafts. It was flourishing export of sumac and processing of disa and Giummarra. It was in 1904 that formed the first agricultural cooperatives and it was in that year that Castelluzzo lived a tragic page of history; at a rally of workers which included women and children, a Brigadier of the Carabinieri he fired on demonstrators causing two died.
Of human presence in San Vito Lo Capo you have evidence dating back a thousand year a.c. thanks to some artefacts recovered in the numerous caverns formed in the cliffs that abound the coast . Other remains of underground burials dating from a later period also confirm the presence of a permanent nature settlements . The history of San Vito Lo Capo is linked in any way to San Vito Martire , a young nobleman born in Mazara in 286 d.c. idolatrous father and Christian mother died a few days after his birth .
Via Savoia, 61 - 91010